Kennedy Nate is a trial lawyer focusing on complex commercial disputes, including in the areas of contract, intellectual property (e.g., trademark, copyright, and trade secret), partnership and corporation disputes, and commercial foreclosure.
Before joining McNeill Von Maack, Mr. Nate was a partner at the boutique commercial litigation firm of Magleby Cataxinos & Greenwood. He then became the Assistant Vice President of Legal Affairs with Nutraceutical Corporation, an international dietary supplement company, managing the company's litigation, contracts, and intellectual property portfolio. Mr. Nate's in-house experience provided him with unique insights on how best to serve his clients by providing cost-effective solutions to complex legal issues.
In 2016, 2017, and 2019, Mr. Nate was included on the list of Mountain States Rising Stars in Super Lawyers (TM), an honor given to only the top 2.5% of attorneys practicing in the Mountain States (Utah, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming) under the age of 40 or practicing law for less than 10 years.
Mr. Nate graduated with a degree in Spanish from the University of Utah in 2008. He obtained his J.D. from the University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, where he graduated with high honors and was a teaching assistant in legal writing. While in law school, Mr. Nate worked as a Quinney Research Fellow to Professor Amos N. Guiora, assisting Professor Guiora with research relating to national security and religious extremism. Much of Mr. Nate's research is featured in the book TOLERATING INTOLERANCE: THE PRICE OF PROTECTING EXTREMISM, Amos N. Guiora (Oxford University Press, 2014). In addition, Mr. Nate worked as an extern for the Honorable Clark Waddoups of the United States District Court for the District of Utah and the Honorable Jill N. Parrish of the Utah Supreme Court during his second and third years of law school.
- Utah, 2012
- U.S. District Court District of Utah, 2012
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2017
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico, 2019
- The S.J. Quinney College of Law at The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- J.D. - 2012
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: William H. Leary Scholar
- Honors: Quinney Research Fellow
- Honors: Legal Writing & Research assistant to Professor Jensie Anderson
- Honors: College of Law Outstanding Achievement Award (best overall performance) for: Civil Procedure, Fall 2009; Administrative Law, Fall 2011; Securities Regulation, Fall 2011
- University of Utah
- Major: Spanish
- S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. v. Nutraceutical Corporation and NutraMarks, Inc., 835 F.3d 660, 2016, United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Cornaby's LLC v. Carnet, LLC et. al., 2017 WL 1437063, 2017, United States District Court for the District of Utah
- Cornaby's LLC v. Carnet, LLC et. al., 2017 WL 3503669, 2017, United States District Court for the District of Utah
- Johnsen & Allphin Properties, LLC v. First Am. Title Ins. Co., 2016 WL 6459579, 2016, D. Utah, No. 2:12-CV-740-DN-PMW
- S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. v. Nutraceutical Corporation and NutraMarks, Inc., 2017 WL 10676732, E.D. Wis., No. 11-CV-861-PP
- SA Grp. Properties Inc. v. Highland Marketplace LC, 2017 UT App 160, 424 P.3d 187
- Nutraceutical Corp. v. Affordable Nats., LLC, 2017 WL 4564739 , 2017, D. Utah, No. 214CV00907JNPPMW
- S.C. Johnson & Son , Inc. v. Nutraceutical Corporation and NutraMarks, Inc., 2019 WL 1320313, 2019, E.D. Wis., No. 11-CV-861-PP
Past Employment Positions
- Nutraceutical Corporation, Assistant Vice President of Legal Affairs, 2017 to 2018
- Magleby Cataxinos & Greenwood, Associate and Partner, 2012 to 2017
- Amos N. Guiora, Research Fellow
- Hon. Clark Waddoups of the United States District Court for the District of Utah, Extern
- Hon. Jill N. Parrish of the Utah Supreme Court, Extern