Christopher M. Von Maack is a civil trial lawyer and partner at McNeill Von Maack. His practice focuses on disputes in the areas of contract, intellectual property, partnership, real property, and unfair competition. He is licensed to practice law in Utah and California.
Mr. Von Maack is ranked in Chambers USA and Best Lawyers and maintains an AV Preeminent peer-review rating and a Preeminent client-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell. He has consistently been included on the list of Super Lawyers. He has also been voted by his peers as one of Utah's Legal Elite, as published in Utah Business Magazine.
His representative clients include publicly-traded, mid-sized, and startup companies facing ‘bet-the-company' disputes. Recent results include the following:
• Obtained case-ending sanctions and a $1.3 million judgment against parties that had attempted to use altered documents in a proceeding.
• Successfully defended a Direct Selling Association company against a $27 million claim in a New York arbitration proceeding.
• Obtained multiple temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, partial summary judgment rulings, and civil contempt citations in a microdermabrasion trademark and copyright case in federal court in Utah.
• Obtained a rare bad-faith dismissal of an adversary's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in Delaware.
• Obtained a dismissal of engineering malpractice dispute in federal court in the Central District of California.
Mr. Von Maack is the chair of the Utah Supreme Court Professionalism Counseling Board. He previously served as a member of the Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professionalism, the Committee on the Model Utah Jury Instructions, and Utah State Bar's Governmental Relations Committee. He also served co-chair of the Utah State Bar Young Lawyers Division Committee on Professionalism and the Practice of Law. He is a member of the David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II Inns of Court.
Mr. Von Maack graduated from UCLA with a degree in English. He obtained his J.D. from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he graduated Order of the Coif and was a writer and editor for the McGeorge Law Review.
Prior to starting McNeill Von Maack, he was a partner at Magleby Cataxinos & Greenwood. Before that, he served as a law clerk for the Honorable Pamela T. Greenwood of the Utah Court of Appeals.
Mr. Von Maack is the chair of the board of trustees for Rowland Hall St. Mark's School and previously served on the board of Preservation Utah.
Areas Of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Real Property
- Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- California, 2004
- Utah, 2005
- U.S. District Court District of Utah, 2005
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2009
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2014
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- J.D. - 2004
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Teaching assistant to Professor Gregory C. Pingree
- Honors: Witkin Awards, Top Grade in Legal Writing and International Water Law
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 2001
- Major: English
- "A Relatively Simple Matter": Navigating The Utah Discovery Rule, 19 Utah Bar J. 4 (July/Aug. 2006).
- "Civility in the Practice of Law": A Young Lawyer's Perspective, 19 Utah Bar J. 7 (Nov./Dec. 2006).
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Bowers, 651 F.3d 1200, 2011, 10th Cir.
- Midwest Office, Inc. v. RHB Direct, LLC, Case No. 2:08-CV-966 TS, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 64865, 2009, D. Utah
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Chiang, et. al., No. 2:07cv37-TC-DN, 2007, D. Utah
- Haug v. La Caille Restaurant Corp., et. al., Civil No. 060902238, 2006, Utah Dist. Ct.
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Bowers, 643 F.3d 735, 2011, 10th Cir.
- ClearOne Commc'ns v. Biamp Sys., Inc. , 653 F.3d 1163, 2011, 10th Cir.
- Viridian Network, LLC adv. Caruso, 2015, Arbitration
- 4EverYoung Ltd. v. Derma Pen, LLC, No. 2:13-CV-00729-DN-EJF WL 1726008, 2015, D. Utah
- Crius Energy Trust
- North American Potash Developments, Inc.
- PillPack, Inc.
- Positive Gaming AS
- Transfac Capital, LLC
- Viridian Energy, Inc.
- Viridian Network, LLC
- Utah Standards of Professionalism & Civility - Gaining Traction and Growing Teeth, Utah State Bar Paralegal Division Annual Seminar, 2007 to 2007
- The Professionalism Counseling Board: What It Is, How it Operates, and Why You Should Care, Utah State Bar CLE, 2017, 2018
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA - Ranked
- Super Lawyers (TM)
- Super Lawyers (TM) - Rising Star
- Utah Business Magazine's Legal Elite
- Witkin Awards, Top Grade in Legal Writing and International Water Law
- AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (TM)
- Preeminent Client-Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (TM)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- R. Harold Burton Foundation, Director, 2018 to Present
- Committee on the Model Utah Jury Instructions (MUJI), Member, 2015 to Present
- Utah Supreme Court Professionalism Counseling Board, 2015 to Present
- Rowland Hall St. Mark's School, Board of Trustees, 2014 to Present
- Salt Lake City Honorary Colonels, Trustee, 2012 to 2017
- Preservation Utah, Trustee, 2010 to 2018
- American Cancer Society, Ambassador, 2010 to 2013
- Huntsman 2012 and McCain 2008 Utah Finance Committee, Member
- Utah State Bar Governmental Relations Committee, Member, 2008 to 2012
- McCain 2008 Utah Finance Committee, Member
- Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professionalism, Member, 2006 to 2015
- David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II Inn of Court, Member, 2005 to Present
- Utah State Bar Young Lawyers Division Committee on Professionalism, Co-Chair, Practice of Law Committee, 2005 to 2008
- Hon. Pamela T. Greenwood, Utah Court of Appeals, Law Clerk, 2004 to 2005
Fraternities and Sororities
- Sigma Chi