CHRISTOPHER M. VON MAACK is a trial lawyer and a founding partner of McNeill Von Maack.
Christopher M. Von Maack is a civil trial lawyer focusing on disputes in the areas of contract, intellectual property (e.g., copyright, trademark, and trade secret), partnership, real property, and unfair competition. He is licensed to practice law in Utah and California, and is a partner at McNeill Von Maack.
Mr. Von Maack is ranked in Chambers USA and maintains an AV Preeminent peer-review rating and a Preeminent client-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (TM). He has consistently been included on the list of Super Lawyers (TM) or Rising Stars, an honor given to only the top 2.5% of attorneys practicing in the Intermountain West. He has also been voted by his peers as one of Utah's Legal Elite, as published in Utah Business Magazine.
His representative clients include publicly-traded, mid-sized, and startup companies facing ‘bet-the-company' disputes. Recent results include the following:
• Successfully defended a Direct Selling Association ("DSA") company against a $27 million claim in a New York arbitration proceeding.
• Favorably resolved dispute amongst feuding law enforcement unions in Utah.
• Obtained multiple temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, partial summary judgment rulings, and civil contempt citations in a microdermabrasion trademark and copyright case in federal court in Utah.
• Obtained a rare bad-faith dismissal of an adversary's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in Delaware.
• Obtained a dismissal of engineering malpractice dispute in federal court in the Central District of California.
Mr. Von Maack graduated from UCLA with a degree in English and a specialization in Business Administration. He obtained his J.D. from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he graduated Order of the Coif (top 10%) and was a writer and editor for the McGeorge Law Review. Mr. Von Maack earned Witkin Awards for the top grade in legal writing and international water law. He also served as teaching assistant to Professor Gregory C. Pingree on the subjects of torts and professional responsibility.
Mr. Von Maack served as a law clerk for the Honorable Pamela T. Greenwood of the Utah Court of Appeals.
He is a member of the Committee on the Model Utah Jury Instructions ("MUJI"), Utah Supreme Court Professionalism Counseling Board, and David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II Inns of Court. He was previously a member of the Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professionalism, co-chair of the Utah State Bar Young Lawyers Division Committee on Professionalism and the Practice of Law, and member of the Utah State Bar's Governmental Relations Committee.
Mr. Von Maack serves on the boards of trustees for Rowland Hall St. Mark's School, the Utah Heritage Foundation, and the Salt Lake Honorary Colonels. He served on the Huntsman 2012 and McCain 2008 Utah Finance Committees.
- Intellectual Property
- Real Property
- Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- California, 2004
- Utah, 2005
- U.S. District Court District of Utah, 2005
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2009
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2014
Areas Of Practice
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- J.D. - 2004
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Teaching assistant to Professor Gregory C. Pingree
- Honors: Witkin Awards, Top Grade in Legal Writing and International Water Law
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 2001
- Major: English
- "A Relatively Simple Matter": Navigating The Utah Discovery Rule, 19 Utah Bar J. 4 (July/Aug. 2006).
- "Civility in the Practice of Law": A Young Lawyer's Perspective, 19 Utah Bar J. 7 (Nov./Dec. 2006).
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Bowers, 651 F.3d 1200, 2011, 10th Cir.
- Midwest Office, Inc. v. RHB Direct, LLC, Case No. 2:08-CV-966 TS, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 64865, 2009, D. Utah
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Chiang, et. al., No. 2:07cv37-TC-DN, 2007, D. Utah
- Haug v. La Caille Restaurant Corp., et. al., Civil No. 060902238, 2006, Utah Dist. Ct.
- ClearOne Commc'ns, Inc. v. Bowers, 643 F.3d 735, 2011, 10th Cir.
- ClearOne Commc'ns v. Biamp Sys., Inc. , 653 F.3d 1163, 2011, 10th Cir.
- Viridian Network, LLC adv. Caruso, 2015, Arbitration
- 4EverYoung Ltd. v. Derma Pen, LLC, No. 2:13-CV-00729-DN-EJF WL 1726008, 2015, D. Utah
- Crius Energy Trust
- North American Potash Developments, Inc.
- PillPack, Inc.
- Positive Gaming AS
- Transfac Capital, LLC
- Viridian Energy, Inc.
- Viridian Network, LLC
- Utah Standards of Professionalism & Civility - Gaining Traction and Growing Teeth, Utah State Bar Paralegal Division Annual Seminar, 2007 to 2007
- The Professionalism Counseling Board: What It Is, How it Operates, and Why You Should Care, Utah State Bar CLE, 2017, 2018
- Chambers USA - Ranked
- Super Lawyers (TM)
- Super Lawyers (TM) - Rising Star
- Utah Business Magazine's Legal Elite
- Witkin Awards, Top Grade in Legal Writing and International Water Law
- AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (TM)
- Preeminent Client-Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (TM)
- R. Harold Burton Foundation, Director, 2018 to Present
- Committee on the Model Utah Jury Instructions (MUJI), Member, 2015 to Present
- Utah Supreme Court Professionalism Counseling Board, 2015 to Present
- Rowland Hall St. Mark's School, Board of Trustees, 2014 to Present
- Salt Lake City Honorary Colonels, Trustee, 2012 to 2017
- Preservation Utah, Trustee, 2010 to 2018
- American Cancer Society, Ambassador, 2010 to 2013
- Huntsman 2012 and McCain 2008 Utah Finance Committee, Member
- Utah State Bar Governmental Relations Committee, Member, 2008 to 2012
- McCain 2008 Utah Finance Committee, Member
- Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professionalism, Member, 2006 to 2015
- David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II Inn of Court, Member, 2005 to Present
- Utah State Bar Young Lawyers Division Committee on Professionalism, Co-Chair, Practice of Law Committee, 2005 to 2008
Honors and Awards
- Hon. Pamela T. Greenwood, Utah Court of Appeals, Law Clerk, 2004 to 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sigma Chi